Friday 11 February 2011

The great first date debate

Okay, it's not really much of a debate, but "discussion" didn't rhyme. Recently, some girlfriends and I got to talking about great first date ideas in Halifax. This is supremely easy in the summer, but a little tougher in the dead of winter. And let me stop any regular readers right there: I realize me talking about dating is like me talking about abdominal surgery; it's theoretical more than practical. I don't really do it, I'm pretty sure I'm underqualified for it, and the person on the receiving end might end up suing me.

Okay, I know many loving, committed relationships have started off over dinner and a movie. Except, it's just...uninspired. I don't think movies should be allowed on first dates. And you know I love movies. But why would you spend two hours NOT talking to the person you're hoping to get to know better? As for dinner, you won't find a more enthusiastic foodie than me, but you should tread carefully. Never go too fancy out of the gate. I think relaxed food means relaxed first date. Pizza and beer? Awesome. Burgers and fries? Awesome. Something with a reduction and way too much cutlery? Awesome in theory, but not first date awesome. First date awkward.

Go do something. I don't mean see a band or a play (see: not talking), but something a bit interactive, maybe a bit goofy. I think glow in the dark mini-golf is a fantastic choice. Like the name suggests, it's dark, which is always fun, since my inhibitions tend to lower right along with the wattage. You're doing something silly, so it takes the pressure off. It's hard to be nervous about the date when your teeth are glowing and you're aiming a tiny ball at a tiny hole while 80s hair band music plays. And you can get a little touchy-feely in the name of psyching out your opponent. Playing pool is great for this, too. I sort of suck at pool, but do have a tendency to make the occasional accidentally awesome shot despite a complete lack of planning and/or technical know-how. This is also an excellent opportunity to wear a slightly low-cut top. Are you stripes or solids? Who cares? Your boobs look great. Take the time to really line up your shots, ladies.

A T. rex named Sue. A bold choice for the post-adolescence set? Sure, for some. But it's a goddamn T. rex! Named Sue! She's world famous. She's the largest example of the baddest of the bad ass ever found. Have you seen "Jurassic Park"? That poor goat. And following Sue up with a trip to Maxwell's Plum to see if a beery connection to her can be made (she's from South Dakota - do they make beer in South Dakota?) is the sort of nonsense I'm all over. I know it would never happen, because I live in Halifax, not a romantic comedy, but if a guy ever suggested this as a first, or really any, date, I would likely be the first person ever kicked out of the Museum of Natural History for making out up against a 65 million year old dinosaur.

My final mid-winter suggestion is not for everyone. But those who like it will like it a lot! Go on the Keith's brewery tour. I admit this is fraught with pitfalls, but it's also chock-a-block with social lubricants. Sure, it's a bit hokey, what with the period costumes. Sidebar: I always want to talk to people in period costumes in a fake English accent, regardless of the period; I can't imagine this compulsion would be lessened in any way by the addition of beer. Anyway, you learn a little something about the love affair between ale and our fair city, the old brewery market is a terrific building, and there's a tavern at the end. There are also, however, serving wenches, so it might be a good time to redeploy that low-cut top I mentioned.

I know many women would prefer to be wined and dined on a first date, and that's great for some people. It's a perfectly acceptable first date. But it's not me. Give me a fossil and a Sam Adams over a wine list and linen napkins any day. And now that I think about it, there might be something to this whole dating / abdominal surgery analogy. I actually feel similarly towards both: you'll hopefully feel great afterwards, every one should scrub up beforehand, and it's always a good idea to drape the tummy before you start. Just don't sue me.

0 comments:

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream